Continued…Tuesday Tostada for 2…turns into Wednesday Tortilla Soup for 3!
Posted on November 17, 2016
Dan (my bro-in-law) has been requesting Tortilla Soup so this was a perfect opportunity to have him over for dinner.
What you need:
- Chicken broth, 64 oz (can use low sodium)
- 1 can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Sour cream
- Cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Fresh salsa or pico de gallo
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- Small corn tortillas (at least 6)
- AND TUESDAY LEFTOVER Chicken. I mixed my black beans and jalapeño with my chicken…you can do the same if you plenty left over from night one.
In a large stock pot, heat olive oil on medium high heat and then add the garlic and shallot. Cook a few minutes, until translucent, then add the chicken broth and tomatoes – stir and heat until simmering. I didn’t use ALL 64 oz – you can use your judgement.
Then add your chicken, beans, 1/2 jalapeño, pepper to taste and turn to low heat. I actually had just over a cup of cooked brown rice from lunch, so I added that too.
Meanwhile, brush with canola oil and salt both sides of your tortillas- put them on a baking sheet. Pop them in the oven on broil until brown and crispy on both sides, flipping occasionally. When brown (or borderline burnt), remove from heat and thinly slice.
Prep your toppings – bell pepper, lime, sour cream, cilantro, salsa/pico and green onion, while adding about a handful of cilantro to your soup. Taste test your soup to make sure the flavors are right and serve!